Monday, April 18, 2011

Grain-Free Granola - GAPS Friendly

I'm very much a cold breakfast cereal person.

When I was a teenager, my favorite kind was the chocolate sugar bombs that turned the milk into chocolately goodness in the bottom of the bowl.
I now know the tremendous downfalls of that cereal, and have switched my love of cold cereal to homemade granola and birdies in a nest...except both are off-limits for a while.

Bowls of steaming hot oatmeal or creamy buckwheat aren't a favorite...and now that oatmeal and buckwheat are on the "no" list I still crave that cold milk in my bowl, bathing crunchy cereal that just screams morning.
Well, my mornings just got a little brighter, thanks to Elana over at Elana's Pantry.

This. recipe. is. amazing.


Grain-free granola. No oats, no flour, no gluten, no sugar...just yummy goodness in my bowl once again. My bowls of cold cereal have returned.
Since I'm off dairy for a bit I enjoy it with coconut milk, and since macadamia nuts must be competing with the price of gold ($17+/lb at the health food store!), I chose to get raw sunflower seeds instead.

It's amazing how sweet this is with no sweetener added - thanks to the raisins.

I made this with my blender...which was quite the process since I could only do about 1/4 cup at a time or it wouldn't move...so I'm adding "food processor" to my garage sale list. :-)

I was also very impatient and wanted the granola for breakfast after soaking it all night, so I baked it fast instead of keeping it live in the dehydrator...maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment